Secure your Yahoo account
Keep your information private and prevent unauthorized access to your account. Safe sign-in methods, up-to-date contact info, and good online habits help keep you secure and safe from scammers.
Enable two-step verification to make every login attempt from a new device or browser require a code in addition to your password.
- Use a strong password and change it regularly - Create a strong password to minimize the risk of unauthorized account access.
In addition to using our tools to protect your account, you play a critical role in keeping it secure.
- Protect yourself outside of Yahoo - Avoid installing malicious software.
- Sign out of public computers - Always sign out of your accounts when you're done.
- Don't fall for phishing scams - Don't click links you're unsure about, even from friends.
- Check your login activity - Check the recent activity on your account for unusual logins.
- Delete security questions - We no longer use these; remove your questions if you haven't already.
- Update and secure your recovery methods - Keep a current, secure email address and mobile number on your account. If you use a recovery email from another provider, review its security settings too.
- Remove an abusive recovery method - If someone else has added an email address or mobile number to your account, remove it by going to Member Center via the link sent in the verification email that was sent to you from our system when it was first added. From there, click on "Remove" next to the comm channel.
- Delete app passwords you don't recognize - If you've changed your account password for security reasons, make sure to also revoke any app passwords.