Tips to create a strong password
A strong password is your first line of defense against intruders and imposters. Here are some helpful tips on creating a secure password so you can make sure your information remains safe.
Create a strong password
- Use unique words - Don't use obvious words like "password".
- Have 12 or more characters - Longer passwords are more secure.
- Don't be obvious - Don't use personal information like your name, your Yahoo ID, birthday, etc.
- Avoid sequences or repeated characters - Don't use adjacent characters on your keyboard (QWERTY).
- Use a different password for each site - Otherwise, if someone acquires one password, they could use it to access all of your accounts.
- Use a passphrase - These are created using sequences of words with spaces in between. They're longer than regular passwords and are much more difficult to crack, while being easier for you to remember.
Additional password tips
- Don't recycle them - Create new, unique passwords.
- Use antivirus software - Equip your computer with antivirus software.
- Don't share it - Never give out your password to anyone, not even friends.
- Keep it fresh - Change your password regularly. The more often, the better.
- Look for yahoo.com - Only type your login info for us into sites that end with "yahoo.com".
- Be cautious - If you're being asked to change your password, make sure it's a legitimate request.
- Type it out - Instead of clicking a link in an email, type the site's URL into your browser's address bar.
- Use Yahoo Account Key - If you're concerned about your password being stolen, switch over to Yahoo Account Key and eliminate your password completely!