Recognize a hacked Yahoo Mail account
Keeping your account safe is important to us. If you think someone is trying to access or take over your account, there are some important steps you need to take to secure your information. Know the warning signs and what to do if your account has been compromised.
Signs of a hacked account
- You're not receiving any emails.
- Your Yahoo Mail is sending spam to your contacts.
- You see logins from unexpected locations on your recent activity page.
- Your account info or mail settings were changed without your knowledge.
Review your Yahoo Mail settings
Hackers may change the settings in your Yahoo Mail account to disrupt your inbox or get copies of your emails. Check some of the most commonly changed settings to make sure none of your info or preferences were changed without your knowledge.
- Email filters - Check to see if new filters have been created.
- Sending name - Confirm your sending name has not been changed.
- Email signature - Confirm your email signature has not been changed.
- Reply-to address - Make sure replies to your emails are going to the right inbox.
- Send-only address - Check to see if a Send-only address has been added or changed.
- Vacation response - Check to see if any unfamiliar automatic replies have been set up.
- Default sending address - Confirm the address that pre-populates in the "From" field is right.
- Blocked addresses - Make sure there aren't addresses blocked that you want to get email from.
- Auto-forwarding address - Make sure your email isn't being forwarded to any unfamiliar email addresses.
If you think your account has been hacked - Immediately create a new password and secure your account.