Why am I asked to verify my account after signing in?
If there's something unusual about your sign in or recent activity, we'll ask you to go through another verification step after you've entered the correct password. This is an important security feature that helps to protect your account from unauthorized access. You may be prompted to get a verification code on your Yahoo app, recovery phone number, or recovery email address for any of the following reasons:
- Yahoo notices suspicious account activity.
- You're using an unfamiliar browser or device.
- You're traveling away from your usual location.
- You sign in while using a VPN or a proxy server.
- You've logged in with a private or incognito window.
- There are many attempts to sign in with incorrect passwords.
- The "First time signing in from this device" message appears.
- You've cleared your browser history or data cache including cookies.
This is why it's important to keep these recovery options up to date. Please review your account settings and recovery methods from time to time, and especially prior to changing phone numbers or other email addresses, to help ensure you can always access your account!
Please note: If you've received a secondary verification step after entering your password, but aren't able to sign in because you haven't kept your recovery methods updated, Yahoo Customer Care may still be able to assist you in regaining access, depending on account eligibility. Get more information about support options available in your region.
Problems with the verification code? Fix issues receiving or using the verification code.